Pages



Friday, October 08, 2010

Jared's first day of school

Jared has been in school for a little bit now, but I am trying to get caught up on recent events so here it is. 

His first day he was very very excited. He has not had any preschooling so I'm not sure what he was expecting. I took him to his classroom and sat next to him at his desk. I could tell he was very nervous, I would have been too, there were so many kids, and parents and so much going on. 
He kept saying "Mom don't go, sit by me, ok?"
Well, his cute teacher, Mrs. Peterson sang them a good morning song and then excused the parents. I was panicking inside, I mean, come on, this is my little guy, is he going to handle this ok, do I just leave, or should I wait in the hall in case he goes postal and they reject him???? I was on the verge of tears myself, I was probably sending the poor kid my anxiety vibes...and sure enough, the moment I stood up to go, he started to panic and yell for me...as I approached the doorway to leave he ran towards me screaming and it was all I could do to keep a smile on my face and walk away. 

HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE
 was leave my terrified screaming 5 year old in his kindergarten classroom. 
(I've lead a sheltered life, go easy on me)
I was shaking as I walked down that hallway towards the exit, I wasn't sure what to do...
I could hear him screaming all the way to the office! I was fighting back tears.
I exited the front of the school and my awesome neighbor (who also just dropped off her kindergärtner to his first day of school) was sitting right there in her van. I went up to her and was like " What do I do???? Should I just go home??" 
She just smiled and said "Yep, just go home. He will be just fine. In 15 minutes he won't even remember what he was upset about!" 
BEST ADVICE EVER. Thank you Jen. 
Sure enough, when we picked Jared up later that day, congratulatory Slurpee in hand,
he had the biggest smile on his face I have ever seen. He LOVES school.
AND he has a girlfriend named Jaeli.
She helps him with his letters:)

No comments :

Post a Comment