Pages



Thursday, November 03, 2011

What's For Dinner?

As many of you know, for the last...several months I've not been well. I've been lethargic, nauseated and in constant nagging pain due to a couple of different health issues I've been facing. I've not been the Mother or wife or friend that I KNOW I can be..that I WANT to be. I was barely surviving. After my last ER visit last month, the one where all the doctors just shrugged their shoulders at me, I decided it's going to be up to me to get well. I believe that getting well physically can begin with our mind and our attitude. I have a good friend who has supported me, always texting me to see how I am doing, and constantly offering positive reinforcement for me to get better. I owe so much of my healing to her. Thanks Jesi, you've helped me more than you know! I've also begun taking SilverBiotics thanks to my wonderful father-in-law and I believe it is helping immensely. I have not had a single bladder/kidney infection since I began taking it and my pain has slowly dissipated. Call it a miracle if you will..I don't know what to call it but heaven sent! Dragging my butt out of bed early every morning has gotten easier and easier and I have finally started a workout routine. I'm monitoring my calories and I've got my thyroid leveled out FINALLY! I'm on ONE medication. I'm really really trying to do better and BE better. I love going to bed every night completely EXHAUSTED and sore, because it means I accomplished so much. Business has been great and I love staying busy. Sooo...
Every night I try to make something new. Here are a few of our favorites from October. If it makes the blog, it's delish!! You MUST TRY these recipes!



Cafe Rio Style Chicken Burritos

Now, if you're like us, you love Cafe Rio. I wanted to see if I could even come close to replicating their food so I did some Googling and found this SITE. I used the chicken recipe (shredding tip in recipe below) and the lime rice recipe, We made guacamole for the topping, which was AWESOME, but next time I'm going to try my hand at the tomatillo dressing. I added canned black beans, cheddar and lettuce. How good was it, you ask? Dave ate so much that he threw up. (that means it was FANTASTIC, I didn't give him food poisoning)


Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Ingredients for the BBQ chicken
(you can also use pork or beef with this, it's so good!)

  • 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 tsp minced onions (I use dry onions)
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 C vinegar *use apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/3 C BBQ sauce
I threw it all in the crockpot on high for about 4 hours. Once the chicken is cooked through, you can shred it. *Shredding tip: put the chicken breasts into your KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachment and turn it on  med for about 30 seconds. Shreds the chicken perfectly!* Then you can put it back into the crockpot on low until dinner is served.

You can buy rolls or hoagies for this recipe, but I recently obtained these cool hamburger and hotdog bun pans from a Freecycler and had to try them out. 
Here is the LINK to the recipe I use for this.
I grill the insides of the buns before serving, it's so good!! You have to use butter too, no cheating!

Bacon Cheddar Potato Soup in Homemade Bread Bowls
This soup was soooo good. It was very filling and hearty. Here is where I found the recipe:
I used real bacon instead of bacos, dry onion instead of fresh, omitted the celery & white pepper and made my own chicken broth from bouillon. For the bread bowls, just use the above recipe and form the bread into bowls. Let them rise a little bit longer on the final rise, makes them lighter. 

Sugar & Spice Pumpkin Seeds
Now, I know Halloween is over and you've probably already thrown out the seeds from Jack-O-Lantern carving, but in our house, baking the seeds is a jack-o-lantern-carving-night tradition we started a few years ago. We usually just clean them off and soak them in salt water, then spread them on a pan and bake them at 350 f. for 10 minutes. They are so good that way. But this year I tried something different and it turned out really well. 
HERE is the recipe. 
It's really easy. First you bake the seeds in the oven..meanwhile, mix the different spices etc together in a bowl. Next time I will omit the Cumin, 'cuz Dave doesn't like it. Weirdo. :b
 When the seeds are done roasting, you put them in a pre-heated frying pan with oil, I used coconut oil (cuz it's good for you!) and sugar. I used BROWN rather than white. MMMM so good. Fry those babies up for a minute or two..
 Then transfer them to the bowl of seasonings and stir until well coated. 
 AND done. 
 If you try these recipes, let me know how YOU like them!

No comments :

Post a Comment