Pages



Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Feast and the Museum

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, first with Dave's side the week before Thanksgiving. Dave has a total of 12 kids(10 living) in his family and it's usually a pretty big gathering, but we were missing a few this year and although still nice to get together, it did feel like something was missing. For Thanksgiving Day, we went to my brother's house in Stansbury Park and stayed 2 nights. It was a lot of fun for the boys to play with their cousins and for me to be able to spend time with my siblings which doesn't happen very often. I come from a "yours, mine and ours" family and I happen to be in the "ours" group. My Dad has 4 kids from his first marriage and my Mom has 4 from her first marriage and then they got married and had my younger brother and I. My Dad's side lived with us here and there as teens while I was pretty little, and the only real time I got to spend with them was on camping trips and gatherings. I'm so grateful that I've had the opportunity to be a lot closer to my sister Becky and her boys and a couple of my nieces, but sadly, I don't even know the others that well. Thanksgiving this year was only my Mom's side and I really miss having get-togethers where EVERYBODY is there. Although I don't know my Dad's side as well, I still miss them and they are still my family. Anyways, we had a lot of fun with family in Stansbury Park. My brother, Lynn, was joking and asked when Dave and I are going to "gather to Zion" because they all now live in Tooele County; three of them are in Stansbury and one is in Tooele. Actually, I'd move back to Stansbury Park in a heartbeat! Anyways, I didn't take a single picture the entire weekend. I just really enjoyed sitting back and not worrying about getting the camera out. Next time we're together I will though, I would like to get a picture of all of the little cousins. I love that they are so close in age and that they get to see each other as often as they do. I barely even met my cousins as a child and they are all so much older than me. I'm glad that my kids have that opportunity. On the way home Saturday afternoon, we decided to stop at Hill Air Force Museum(that our kids get so excited about every time we drive by all of those huge airplanes!) The boys really enjoyed it but were anxious to get home so we only stayed for about an hour. I think one BIG boy enjoyed it more than any of us. He's never been so it was pretty exciting for him. PLUS, we had just finished watching Captain America at Lynn's house an hour before, so it was fun to see all that World War 2 stuff. As a child, my Dad had a friend who worked there and I distinctly remembering him letting me get INTO a couple of the big airplanes and getting to sit in the pilot seat. I remember leaving there wanting to be the next Amelia Earhart. I had thought that was just part of the tour, but you can't climb into any of the aircraft now. I guess I was just lucky to have a Dad with connections! Here are pictures from the museum. Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment